Friday, September 15, 2006

I was really appreciative of Rabbi Sue's talk on Recontructionist Judaism, I think I had a very misguided view of it before. I think that the movement is very similar to Reform, but possibly even better, because it challenges you to make choices about your lifestyle, and have a reason. It also challenges you to study Halacha and not just follow the law, but to really learn Halacha and really decide whether or not certain laws are for you, and if you decide it isn't, you don't simply just decide that the law isn't for you, you should justify why you think so.
But what I found most interesting this week is this idea that you can be cultural Jewish and not be a practicing Jew. Someone made a remark that she considers herself cultural Jewish and Jewish because she goes to synagogue on High Holy Days. I call people who are Jewish on High Holy Days, the "twice a year Jews." I feel that if you are going to project yourself as a Jew, you should do more then the twice a year thing, whether its that you make shabbat special in some way, or you follow certain laws, or you are active in the Jewish community. I don't believe in this idea that you can be Jewish without the religion. I believe that the culture grew from the religion, and the spirit of the culture lies within Judaism itself. If you can be cultural Jewish, yet not be religiously Jewish, then couldn't someone who was not Jewish at all, claim they are culturally Jewish, and therefore recieve membership into the Jewish community. If that were true, wouldn't we lose the connections that we have?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home