Saturday, October 28, 2006

I was reading in USA today about Borat, the movie staring Sacha Baron Cohen a British comedian, it something struck me as very interesting, they referred to Baron Cohen as "religious." I was curious as to what they meant by this, did they mean that he found himself to be deeply connected to Judaism, because it's clear that he is not an observant or orthodox person. I also found it interesting the ADL's statement on the Borat movie: "When approaching this film, one has to understand that there is absolutely no intent on the part of the filmmakers to offend, and no malevolence on the part of Sacha Baron Cohen, who is himself proudly Jewish. We hope that everyone who chooses to see the film understands Mr. Cohen's comedic technique, which is to use humor to unmask the absurd and irrational side of anti-Semitism and other phobias born of ignorance and fear."- www.Adl.org
I think this was an interesting approach that the ADL took looking at it, and I think I have to agree with the ADL, from what I have heard about the film, and from seeing Baron Cohen's work, I think his work really does show how absurd antisemitism can be.

1 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger l said...

I also agree with the ADL's position on this movie. The upcoming release has sparked much controversy throughout the US, but in a similar way that Stephen Colbert tends to be a bit controversial, Sacha Baron Cohen's work is a comedy and that is very important to remember. The ADL's support of this film really serves to mold what the general public thinks the "Jewish" opinion on the film is-- so I hope the ADL has it right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home