Thursday, November 23, 2006

Borat

So I finally saw Borat last night! It was hilarious! I could tell that I was the only Jew in the theater at the time though because there is this scene where Borat goes to this bed and breakfast, on the door is a mezzuzah, and when the man opens the door and the first thing you notice is a Kippah on his head, and I just busted out laughing! But I thought about how this related to my own paper, how Jews themselves potray Jews in films. It was clear that the couple were not observant because the kippah the man was wearing was like one of those cheap kippahs you find at synagogues and the woman did not cover her head at all. It seemed as if the only reason the man was wearing a kippah in the film was to make the point that they were Jewish, even though it was obvious from all the artwork in the film and the mezzuzahs all over the place.

1 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger Hayley Ruemler said...

Hi Lainna,

I have not seen Borat yet, but after reading your blog entry I was wondering do Jewish women normally cover their heads. When you were talking about the Kippah you mentioned that the women did not have her head covered at all so they must not have been very serious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home