Sunday, December 03, 2006

Last names

I've been watching Gentleman's Agreement several time this week because I'm viewing it for my paper. There is a character in the film that changes her last name because it was obviously Jewish and she was unable to get jobs, once she changed her last name she was able to get a job. I just don't think it's okay to change your last name because it appears to be "too Jewish," I know many people in Hollywood have done this, but I just don't think it's right, and it really bothers me. In a way it seems as if they are running away from who they really are and they feel they need to hide their heritage.

1 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Blogger l said...

In another sense though I think people really put too much in what someones last name sounds like and to me it is very offensive. Countless times people have come up to me and been like "Oh really???!?!? YOU'RE Jewish!?? Your last name doesn't sound Jewish..." To them I say, " Yes and I bet I don't look Jewish too, but tough I am." Jewish names, Jewish looks.. its ridiculous; people shouldn't judge other people's religious preferences based on how their last names sounds... that seems a bit prejudice in general. Many groups do it; Italian sounding names, Irish sounding names, the list goes on-- it still seems prejudice to me though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home